Liberty’s mission: equipping churches and providing pastoral care in the area of same-sex attraction.
Liberty Christian Ministries Inc. aims to:
- Offer support, hope and education to Christian men and women who experience same-sex attraction. This can take the form of one-to-one meetings and running support groups;
- Provide support to families, spouses and friends of those who experience same-sex attraction. Support groups in the western and northern suburbs of Sydney are available to help meet this need;
- Educate churches and individuals in an attempt to raise awareness about the Bible’s true perspective on sexuality and how it can be expressed in ways which honour Christ. We endeavour to equip churches to better care for the many people who struggle in this area and seek to live a life according to the standards set forth in Scripture. Liberty aims to do this by providing speakers for churches and conventions, upon request;
- Meet needs through its online presence by providing critical insights on the issue of same-sex attraction with features such as book reviews, testimonies, audio and visual literature, commentary on social issues, links to affiliated ministries, answers to frequently asked questions, and other information.
- Produce resources to equip the community of Christian believers to support those with same-sex attraction (such as the Pastoral Journey) and those who love them.
What Liberty does:
- Speaking to churches and church workers of all denominations to address issues concerning same sex attraction from a Biblical perspective and to promote pastoral care for Christians with same sex attraction;
- Running seminars for counsellors, pastors and other interested people aimed at addressing issues relevant to those with same sex attraction, their families and friends;
- Maintaining an office and handling calls from people looking for support, counsellors or educational resources. We do not offer counselling directly but seek to refer interested people to expert counsellors;
- Making regular updates to our website to cover relevant issues;
- Stocking current Christian books, DVDs CDs, and other literature dealing with same sex attraction and related issues which are available for sale. We are proud of our book “What Some of You Were”, which contains readable and compelling stories from people who have been helped by our ministry;
- We work in full accordance with the Faithfulness in Service Guidelines 2007 of the Sydney Anglican diocese (PDF version available).
What Liberty does not do:
Liberty does not necessarily share the same philosophies, interpretations of Scripture, and methodologies as other ministries. We want to make it clear that we:
- do not tolerate homophobia or anti-gay vilification, although we affirm the scriptural teaching on sexuality;
- do not advocate attempts at sexual orientation change. Our goal is to help people live holy lives in God’s sight, as laid out in Scripture (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8);
- do not suggest that Liberty or the support that it provides will result in people being healed of their same-sex attractions. Ultimate healing and wholeness is found only in Jesus Christ when we meet Him face to face (1 John 3:2-3);
- do not believe that same-sex attractions can be ‘cured’ or ‘fixed’. Like all temptations that Christians struggle with, these issues need to be submitted to God in prayer, and we need support from a loving Christian community to persevere in trust and obedience;
- do not offer professional counselling. Liberty is a support ministry and we recommend people seek professional help where appropriate;
- do not evangelise the gay community or engage in political lobbying;
- do not believe that it has yet been established that people are born gay. However, we live in a world of complexity and mystery, and there are doubtless many contributing factors with same-sex attraction, some of which science may yet be able to uncover.